Saturday, August 2, 2008

Dragonfruit











Beijing Log – Day 3
我烧死了!
Today is SO HOT! Walking outside is brutal. I'm sweating worse than Pat Rafter on a tennis court. I'm so glad our apartments have air conditioning.
Lunch #1:
Salad
1 pc. Teriyaki Chicken Breast
1 scoop White Rice
Balti Chicken
2 slices Whole Grain Bread
2 slices Dragonfruit
Water
Lunch #2:
1 scoop Fried Rice w/ Eggs
Potato & Lamb Stew
Broccoli Florets
2 Small Plums
Grapes
Whole-grain sesame & dried fruit “rice crispy” treat that's a lot healthier than anything you'd normally consider rice crispy treats
Powerade Lemon-Grapefruit Flavor (this stuff tastes so good)
One thing about eating healthy food is that it's not nearly as calorie-dense as, say, a double-double animal style from In-N-Out. As a result, I feel miserable if I don't eat small meals more frequently because my body's craving more calories. So I'm averaging five to six small, lean, healthy meals a day right now rather than having three big ones.
Morning workout:
2000 easy
2x25 dive “floppy arm” sprints
I feel pretty exhausted today, I think the jetlag and heat is starting to wear me down. My Indian swim teammates will arrive tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing them again.
I didn't bother bringing shaving cream, thinking I'd just buy some over here. Turns out shaving cream at the Olympic Village general store is 100 RMB (renminbi). I asked for a “meiyuan” conversion, which means translating it to US dollars. Turns out shaving cream is $15! That's no joke. I set it down and walked out. It cost half as much to buy a 6-socket 2500-Watt power surge protector as it did to buy shaving cream there. How strange. So hopefully I'll have some time to go out and buy some from a regular street store tomorrow.
Here's a picture of the leisure pool at the athlete recreation center in the Village – it's quite a nice place.







So the rest of the team just arrived. Rehan, Sandeep and Virdhawal are here along with coaches Nihar and Pradeep. It's great to have some friends to talk to now. Rehan just qualified a few weeks ago in the 200m butterfly and broke a long-standing Indian record in the event. He's the one guy on the team whom I'm closest to. He also has been trying very hard to make the Olympic cut and to have finally seen him having done it was great.
Signing off for tonight, I'm going to catch up with my teammates.
Goodnight!

No comments: